Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bugs: Don't Ask Don't Tell

Somewhere along the line, I decided if the client did not ask about bugs I did not tell him that I found any. Why on earth did I think this was a good policy for the company or my client?

Bugs are things that produce an incorrect or unexpected result. Is that why my client has me working in that code? Of course, it is.

My job in the first place was to write "perfect" code. Well, I know that is not going to happen. As a matter of fact, a few months ago one of my clients was amazed that the code worked the first time and that had not happened in twenty plus years.

That got me thinking about why do have buggy code? First reason was easy, I'm the tester. We all know the programmers make the worst testers. The second reason is that I have nothing like Visual Studio for the Windows programmers, or do I?

Since my company, U2logic, produces an editor called XLr8Editor for Unidata and Universe that allows you to see you variables in an outline instead of using the -X or -XREF compile option. XLr8Editor allow you to type control-k to go to each instance that variable is used. There is a built in search engine where I can find the exact lines where a piece of code or a variable is used.

All of things and many more features have made be a better coder. Keep reading in the next few weeks and months, XLr8 family will be enhanced to make all of us better coders.

No comments:

Post a Comment